-
AN INSPIRATIONAL MOMENT...WE ALL NEED 'EM

~

"It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed."
-Theodore Roosevelt-



Wednesday, June 2, 2010

New carpet, eh?

Probably one of the dumbest and funniest things we have ever done. I don't know how we were so stupid. So, Caitlin has this old shelf from when she was growing up. We have had it for some time and knew that we were going to put it in the baby's room one day, but it badly needed a paint job. So we decided to paint it. So we started, and didn't use our brain one bit. We painted it inside, which is no big deal. We put an old towel under it. Yup, just a towel. Not much bigger than the shelf itself. Stupid thing #1. The shelf doesn't stand up on its own so I got a stool for it to lean on. The stool wasn't even half as tall as the shelf. Stupid idea #2. When we started painting the paint was on the floor. First good idea we had. That good idea was quickly followed by stupid idea #3, which was to put the paint on the stool so it could be reached easier by a pregnant woman who doesn't like to bend over. HA! So the painting began. Not more than a few minutes later did my cat like reflexes (ha ha) instinctively grab a falling shelf. Just as I caught it did I realize the paint was on the supporting stool that fell over. OH, BLANK! Just then I saw the pint of deep sky blue paint in a pool on the new carpet. The strangest thing, however it does make sense, is that my first thought was to salvage as much paint as possible before it spread too wide into the carpet. So immediately I started scrambling for a way too pick up much of the paint that was on the carpet. I did succeed in getting more than half of the paint back, but the dinner plate sized spot of blue left on the carpet had me a little concerned.

 "Hmmmmmm, how do you get paint out of carpet, Caitlin?" I asked. "I don't know!!!" said Caitlin in a voice full of panic. "Me either." I said. "Ill Google it." Wow, I love how you can find anything on the Internet at the touch of a button. So the cleaning began. Caitlin began to put water and soap on it and blot it up with a towel while I ran to Smith's to get a carpet cleaner. Well at 10:00 PM they don't rent you cleaners. So we spent the next 2 hours soaking and blotting.

What a night. It was supposed to be spent painting a shelf for our new baby. Instead it was full of urgent panic trying to clean paint out of carpet. We did a pretty good job though. There is still a tint of blue there but oh well. We did the best we could. And with a few cuss words and no blaming each other for the spill, I would say we got through it pretty dang good.

2 comments:

tiffanie said...

Wow! Good job on getting that paint out. I would have had the check written out for new carpet before I thought to check google. way to keep your wits about you!

McEntire Family said...

Pretty amazing!